In this blogpost I will connect my android device to my VPN server and put the android device in always-on mode. This means that if my phone has got an internet connection it will automaticly connect to my vpn server. This way I always have a more secure connection in public places. So let’s get started.
First thing to know PPTP is not accepted in always-on mode. Android will not let you select this one. So we need L2TP. And as I do not have certificates setup yet on the server we will use a pre shared key for now.
- Open server manager.
- Connect to the server and open up Routing and remote access.
- Right mouse click on the server and select properties.
- Click on the tab Security.
- Select Allow custom IPsec policy for L2TP/IKEv2 connections and fill in a key. Can be anything you like.
That is it for the server side. Let move on and configure the android device
- Go to settings -> More networks -> VPN
- Click the + sing on the right upper corner
- Give the VPN connection a name like HOME
- Select type L2tp/IPSec PSK
- In the server address put in the IP (not the name!)
- Give in the same key you created on the server in the IPsec-key field (Secret and ID field can be kept blank)
- Click on advanced option
- At DNS-server fill in you local DNS server. Mine is my router 192.168.2.254
Now test the connection first. If it connects you get a key in the upper left corner.If it is working
- From the VPN screen, choose Menu > Always-on VPN.
- Select the VPN.
- Touch OK.
- A permanent notification keeps you informed of the always-on VPN’s status.
And we are now setup.